Friday, August 10, 2012

The Start of a Life

Yesterday at around 5 PM Julie was inseminated with the first dose of semen. It's surreal. I can't believe that she will be having a foal. My dream is finally coming true. Of course there will be lots of stress and worries and "I can't believe I thought this was a good idea" moments but in 11 months Julie's baby will be a reality.

She was a superstar about being bred. She didn't need any kind of drugs and she was very good about everything. Afterwards I had to walk her around for a bit to prevent her peeing right away. She knows that something is up. I'm sure she's figured out that we are breeding her and the whole barn has been on edge these past few days. It's been kind of stressful having all of these horses grumpy and clamoring for my attention. I wonder if they all realize that Julie's going to have a baby.

So my friends want to throw me a baby shower and I'm excited about that. It's amazing to think that Julie is going to have a foal. I wonder who is going to be more protective; me or her. Hopefully she won't reject the foal and hopefully she'll be OK when she foals out. Hopefully I'll have the money I need to pay for everything.

Money is my biggest worry right now.

Here is a picture of Julie that I took while walking her in our round pen.


Here is the container the semen came in:

It's strange to think that two small cells can create a large 1200 lb horse. 

Here's the the beginning of a new journey. There is more to the story about the container getting to us. If I remember to write about it later I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment