Thursday, July 11, 2013

Taking A Chance

Now this blog is supposed to be about my Trakehners and pursuing my goals with them.
I love the breed but more importantly I love horses.
I check out an auction site every week that lists horses available for purchase. I usually look at the pretty ones and hope that they find good home but then I one caught my eye. She was listed as a 4 yr old appaloosa looking thing. I had to have her. The pictures didn't show much but there was just something about her that made me go crazy and buy her.
So I bought her via the phone and then picked her up three days later and brought her to quarantine. Yes she was skinny and she had lumps all over her. She turned out to be a very dirty tovero grey and white paint/pinto. Ok, I thought to myself no big deal she's not as trained as I thought but you know what she has a lot of personality and seems like she just wants somewhere to feel safe. So going against all reason I continued to pour money into her.
My vet came on Monday (this past Monday) and took blood for some bloodwork. He also looked at her teeth and said she is somewhere between 8-11 years old. In addition to that he said she was probably a nurse mare. I won't go into detail about what a nurse mare is but know that it leaves a lot of foals orphaned in favor of more expensive foals. Then he saw her lumps and bumps and said that they are probably tumors. The bloodwork came back and one of the markers for lactate was out of normal range. Which means more tests.
Sometimes taking a chance yields good results. Like the job I took and deciding to live where I live. Sometimes taking a chance yields unfavorable results- when I was in middle school a stray cat came  to my house and wouldn't leave. So after three days my parents said we could keep the cat. They took her to the vet, spent money on her and then two days afterwards she died on our kitchen floor. Her name was Diamond and she was a very sweet cat. My step-dad was annoyed that she croaked so soon after we put a lot of money into her but then he said something like "Well, maybe she needed a place to feel safe; a place where humans looked after her so that she could die in comfort."

Lexy is a sweet mare. She seems like she's had a rough go of life and she's young. She has so much ahead of her and yet maybe not much longer. Everyone loves her as soon as they meet her. She is a gentle soul. So maybe she doesn't have much time left on earth. Maybe I am her hospice care. Maybe I felt the urge to help her because no one else would.
I write this not because I want advice on what to do but because I want to share her story. I want to let you know that sometimes a creature just needs to know that there is good in the world. That they have a place where they can convalesce in peace and then leave this world knowing that they were loved. Even if it was for only a short time.

On the plus side.
She has gained weight in the week I've owned her. She seems like she loves everything about life now and if she only has a short time left here I'm going to do my best to help her live each day to its fullest and do whatever I can to help her heal. Who knows. Maybe a miracle will happen. Maybe she doesn't have cancer and maybe I'm worried for no reason but I have to prepare and accept that maybe I'm pouring a lot of money into a creature that is "a pit" so to speak. I should be worried and stressed because I do have two horses who need their bills paid but I know that I rescued Lexy for a reason and that the money for her care will come to me when I need it. I just have to have faith and trust that I am doing the right thing.

Here are some pictures
 These photos of her eating the grass are a week after I bought her and regular meals and two baths....


 Staying clean isn't her style
 These photos in the stall are from the second day she was in CT

 The pictures below are the day I got her from auction. She walked right on the trailer.





No comments:

Post a Comment