Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Fate's Jewel is HERE!!!!

It's a Filly!!!!!
Chestnut with 4 white legs? Maybe I don't know it's hard to tell because she's so little and new and squirmy. Julie was in foal for 363 days. That's pretty much a year. The foal is healthy. Leggy!!! and doesn't know what to do about her legs. She's easily distracted and wants to stand up but just can't seem to figure it all out. Julie is very interested in her and talks to her all the time and freaks out if she can't see her. She makes me nervous because I'm afraid she is going to step on Fae but I just have to trust that Julie won't do that and that she'll learn how to be a good mom.
UPDATE (extended) 8/7/13
Fae has been alive for a day and a half and has gotten so much stronger. She had low blood serum (plasma/passive transfer of antibodies) levels and so my vet wanted to do a blood plasma transfer on her. We were able to get about 1/2 a liter into her. She was supposed to get a liter. I hope it is enough because we are not going to attempt to do that to her again. She's too little and I'm afraid she is going to break so I'd rather not scare her or teach her to distrust humans.
Julie is a fantastic mom. Obsessive most of the time. Makes Fae get up and eat often and she also will chase Fae around if she thinks Fae should eat. Julie is so funny. talks to Fae all the time and gets nervous if she can't see her.
I could write more about them. I love watching them interact and seeing Julie learn how to be a mom. Today my horse started to return wanting my attention as well as making sure Fae was ok. She's getting better about being a mom. Not nearly as nervous. She'll walk on Fae or almost step on her and I grit my teeth but Julie won't hurt Fae. She loves her too much and she's so happy she's a mom. I think she knows Fae is weak or at risk and that is why she is so focused on her. Julie is such a good mom.

here are some videos of Julie's foaling. Don't mind my voice. (if they load)

No comments:

Post a Comment